You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to schedule furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prep for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t running. It could seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this happens, flip the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the experts at Phelps Heating & Cooling a call at 270-358-3167 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.