Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Hodgenville, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Phelps Heating & Cooling can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Phelps Heating & Cooling in Hodgenville a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 270-358-3167 or book an appointment with us online.