Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Phelps Heating & Cooling in Hodgenville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Phelps Heating & Cooling. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Phelps Heating & Cooling about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Hodgenville home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Phelps Heating & Cooling a call at 270-358-3167.