While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a jingle at 270-358-3167. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Hodgenville weather.